Monday, May 22, 2006

Tamarancho 5th b-day Ride

Last Sunday's ride in Tamarancho turned out to be a really fun day....

Tamarancho No Dab Race
Around 9:30 am I called Julio: -- Hey Julio, can you pick me up on your way to Fairfax?
-- Okay, but call Joe and tell him we will be late, he replied (He is a good friend, for once Julio could have been at Deer Park on time but he sacrificed his punctuality and the possibility to get coffee to pick me up in Mill Valley)
-- Did you call Joe? Julio asked when he arrived at my house.
-- Fuck! I forgot to call him!
-- Chinga tu madre! Julio replied, now Joe will think we are late again because of me!
We arrived to Deer Parl at 10:15 am instead of 10:00 am. I thought they were going to be there since we usually wait for about 30 minutes. But nobody was waiting at the parking lot.
-- Oh well, I told Julio, probably Philip and Joe didn't want to wait any longer and took off already so let's forget about them and and do our own Tamarancho ride.
-- Chinga tu madre! (you know the mother is always blamed for everything) it's your fault!, said Julio. But I thought it was okay since we could be the Latin representation on the "Tamarancho No Dabs Race"
On our way to the camp while climbing Iron Spring road, I got a phone call from Philip (who was supposed to be with Joe). -- You turrrrrist! why you didn't wait forrrrr us? (Philip trying to imitate my accent).
-- What?!, I replied, I saw Joe's car at the parking lot and thought you took off with him.
-- You turrrrrist!, Philip yelled, don't underrrrrstand English! Wait forrrrr us.
When we rendevouz, it turned out Philip was with Steve and his brother Kurt.
-- Wherrrrre is Joe?, was Philip's first question, after a good laugh, we all said: -- Probably Joe had some coffee this morning, saw some girls going toward Tamarancho and just took off following them.
-- It is 11:00 am already so why don't you do my ride?, asked Steve, so we all decided to ride with Steve and Kurt.

In the meantime, we all were trying not to dab to see if we could get a free beer from Danny later on at the Iron Spring Brew b-day party. I was on my single speed so I was not taking my no dabbing very seriously, but after clearing the face rock and the rock garden wihtout any dabs then I was really paying attention to every detail on the trails.

Right before the rock garden, we finally found Joe with two girls, Drew and Terry, and with Jim. So for a while we all rode together, some of us trying not to dab although some like Joe and Philip were putting their feet or their whole bodies on the floor a.k.a. dabbing.

Before the ride was over, Joe joined Steve, Philip and Kurt. Jim stayed with Drew and Terry. And Julio and I ended up finishing the camp together. I dabbed on a tight left stwichback on the last climb before the last dirt road. I was bummed. But Julio's flat made me forget about my dab. We put some air so the stan could seal the tire, swap bikes since the tire was still loosing some air and I weigh a little less than Julio. Barbara's friends lent us a pump at Iron Spring road so we could finish the ride, go back to the cars and get ready for beers.

Click on the map to see ride stats, and other GPS goodies!

Map of Tamarancho 5th b-day

Tamarancho 5th B-day Party
Iron Springs Brew was filled with bikers, their families and friends. I can't mention everybody I saw because the list will fill pages and pages of this blog. But I remember Michael Moore, my favorite plumber, who got a free beer from me because he saved my family from a week of not having hot water. Eric Muhler, the Maestro, playing the piano who didn't get a free beer from me because he was sick. My neighbors the Colombians: Julio Leon with his son Juan and nephew Jorge playing congas and the tambora drum (yes, they got free beers too). Julio's wife, Ellen with their other two kids David and Daniel and niece Alejandra (Juan's daughter). Sally, my partner, chatting away with every biker at the place. My kids Alejandro, Nicole and Andrea, trying not to be too bored. Dana and Cowboy who were flirting with each other while Sally was jealous. Eric Sayetta and Lena who was filled with poison oak! Dolores and Tom who donated cute mini-skirts and arm warmers. Karen and Russell, John Sarter who was covered with mud from head to toe, Ron, Pete and Mo, Susan missing his boyfriend Rob. All the friends I rode with mentioned above plus Dave and Wayne who did their own ride too. Other Freewheelers Robyn (who will probably kick my butt at the Tamarancho race this July), Vernon, Larry, Molly, Barbara (who drunk Sally forgot she was at the last book club), Randy (who thought I was Sally's husband), Val (who I also hugged at Deer Park), Matt, Jim (who is coming to a focus group with me today to talk about Headlands trails) and Michael Kelly and Lloyd (who even danced to the music!).

And the best part of the party (besides the beers, seeing friends and playing drums of course) was the 2007 free Tamarancho pass Danny gave me since there were no females with no dabs present at the time!

No comments: